Sunday, July 11, 2010

I scream, you scream, we all scream for... Calzones?

Calzone are delicious,
Calzones are fun,
And when I eat them
I like to say "Yum!"
~
As you can probably tell.. I've made a calzone. For those of you who do not know what a calzone is... It is a "glorified" pizza pocket, or an inside-out pizza.
Yesterday, I was home all alone trying to write an essay for my Book of Mormon class and needed a big time break. So after calling my mommy I made pizza dough (I included the pizza dough recipe below.) and cooked up some chicken, shredded some cheese and put it all on a spreaded out piece of dough. Then rolled the dough over the mixture and folded the sides over to seal it. Dropped a few Tbl. of sauce on top and plopped it into the oven.
Today, I took out some leftover dough I had packed tight in the refrigerator and let it thaw to room temperature. Marinated some chicken in a soy sauce, oil, brown sugar mixture and waited while it soaked in the flavor. After that, I cooked the chicken with some garlic and placed the chicken in the shaped dough with a mixture of cheddar and mozzarella cheese. After baking for 10 minutes, I took it out and glazed the top with some teriyaki sauce and let it continue cooking for another 3-4 minutes. It was very good! I actually liked it better after it had cooled a bit. Anyway, Yum yum yum! I want to try a more desserty type of calzone. I'm thinking marshmallows and chocolate would be a good pair but we shall see... The joys of experimental college cooking!
TTFN, Ta Ta For Now!


Pizza Dough
1 c. very warm water
1 Tbl. yeast
1 tsp. sugar
Mix together and let sit till bubbly
ADD
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbl. vegetable oil
2 1/2 c. flour (less if you use bread flour)

Shape and let rise for 15-45 minutes
Bake 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes

*When I'm making an actual pizza I like to let the pizza cook in the oven without any toppings on for about 7-9 minutes , then add the toppings. This way, the bottom on the pizza has time to cook and you don't have problems with a doughy under side.

No comments:

Post a Comment